close
close
Tue. Jul 23rd, 2024

Indian-origin surgeon suspended by British NHS after sexual assault charges

By Vaseline May30,2024
Indian-origin surgeon suspended by British NHS after sexual assault charges

An Indian-origin surgeon has been charged as part of an investigation into allegations of sexual assault at Blackpool Victoria Hospital in Lancashire, north-west England, local police said.

Amal Bose, 54, had been suspended by the National Health Service (NHS), which ran the hospital, after it approached police in March last year over a number of allegations of sexual assault by employees. It sparked an investigation and after consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), police charged Bose on Friday and he was released on bail to appear at Lancaster Magistrates’ Court on June 7.

“Amal Bose (3/02/1970), of Thurnham near Lancaster, has been charged with 14 counts of sexual assault contrary to Section 3 Sexual Offenses Act 2003 in relation to six female victims,” Lancashire Police said in a statement.

“The alleged offense occurred between 2017 and 2022. Some counts include more than one incident. The alleged victims were all staff members of Blackpool Victoria Hospital,” the report said.

“On Tuesday March 14 last year we were contacted by the hospital who reported to us a number of allegations of sexual abuse against Trust employees. Following an investigation and consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, we have now charged a man,” the report said.

Before the complaints, the surgeon was head of cardiovascular surgery at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

“The Trust can confirm that a former staff member has been charged with sexual assault,” said a spokesperson for Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital.

“The Trust has worked with Lancashire Constabulary and co-operated fully with their investigation. “I would like to reassure patients and their families that the hospital remains a safe and caring environment and that services will continue as normal,” the spokesperson said.

top videos

View all

  • Yemeni Houthis down ‘sixth’ US MQ-9 Reaper drone, attack six ships in three seas with ‘domestic’ missiles

  • From F-35 fighter jets to B1B bombers | A look inside the most powerful air force in the world | US Air Force explained

  • Israel takes control of a key Gaza-Egypt border area, claiming half of Gaza’s Hamas fighters have been eliminated

  • Germany waters down conscription plans, Hungarian Orbán calls compulsory military service ‘crazy’

  • Trump is said to have “bombed Moscow and Beijing”: Trumpism at an explosive peak as the former US president searches for funds

  • (This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed – PTI)

    Shankhyaneel Sarkar

    Shankhyaneel Sarkar is a senior sub-editor at News18. He handles international affairs

    Location: London, United Kingdom (UK)

    first print: May 30, 2024 12:27 IST

    Related Post